Be Part of a Truly Historic Club.
The Village at Machrihanish Dunes has established The Kintyre Club in the spirit of the original club of the same name, which was founded in 1825 by Glasgow businessmen who had roots (see Club History Below) in the Kintyre region. The original Kintyre Club remained in existence for over 125 years – right up until the 1980s. The club was originally founded as a charitable and social club whose primary purpose was to raise funds and distribute charitable donations to Kintyre residents and causes.
Today’s Kintyre Club follows in the original Club’s charitable and social footsteps. In addition, Kintyre Club members and their guests have special dining privileges at the private* Kintyre Club restaurant within the elegant Ugadale Hotel. Members also have access to a number of special events, club outings, privileges and recognitions reserved for members of the Club, according to the selected member participation level.
In the spirit of the original Kintyre Club, 100 percent of all dues received are donated to Kintyre-area charities. Currently, the Club maintains the following membership levels with the corresponding annual dues as follows:
- Patron Member- £10
- 1825 Member – £100
- Herdsman’s Horn Member – £300
- President’s Medal Member – £500
To join, complete this form to renew or for more information, please call 0800 151 3701 (within UK) or +44 1586 810000 (outside UK) or you may print this form and send by mail or facsimile to the address provided on the form.
* Entry is restricted to The Kintyre Club members and their guests, guests of The Ugadale Hotel & Cottages, guests of The Royal Hotel in Campbeltown and golfers that have played Machrihanish Dunes that day.
History of The Kintyre Club.
On Friday, 1st July 1825, 12 gentlemen came together to form the Kintyre Club, a club dedicated to the “social and rational enjoyment of the Members, in union with the relief and support of decayed and indigent individuals or families resident in this neighbourhood (i.e. Glasgow), who have been either born or are the descendants of parents born in the district from which the club takes its title.”
Throughout its history, The Kintyre Club dispensed welfare and educational aid without discrimination to all who deserved it. During the time of the Club’s creation, there was great wealth, as well as great poverty, in Campbeltown and for Campbeltonians living in Glasgow, with no social welfare or public assistance from the government. All income of the Club, save a small amount for administrative purposes, was used for charitable endeavours. All social events were created to pay for themselves and funds from dues were allowed to accumulate until a significant amount was available for charity (from 1830 on).
The Kintyre Club is best known for its educational activities, gifting prizes, medals, and bursaries. Paying school fees for children, assisting schools and teachers to improve school facilities, University bursaries, and rewards to the top students of the area schools. While many of the Clubs’ works are forgotten, the University bursaries sent many deserving Kintyreans off to a successful start in life and many of the medals and books awarded to promising students remain in their families to this day.