Straight From the Cask
As many whisky aficionados know, Campbeltown has a long and storied history as one of Scotland’s principal whisky producing regions—in its heyday at the turn of the twentieth century, it was the largest whisky producing town in the world, with 34 different distilleries. However, the combination of Prohibition and the Great Depression in the United States eventually led to most of the distilleries going out of business. Today, the town is still home to three distilleries—Springbank (Scotland’s oldest family-run distillery), Glengyle and Glen Scotia—whose high quality offerings are known and appreciated by whisky lovers around the world. A visit to Campbeltown should be on the “must do” list of every serious whisky lover.
- Springbank Distillery, Scotland’s oldest family-run distillery
- Mitchell’s Glengyle Distillery, Home of Kilkerran single malt, a hand-crafted scotch also owned by Springbank
- Glen Scotia, owned by Loch Lomond Distillery
Just a short walk from the distilleries, The Royal Hotel is pleased to welcome whisky clubs, societies and all who love whisky to stay with us and experience the world of Campbeltown whisky. Through Springbank Distillery, the hotel can arrange tours of the Springbank and Glengyle Distilleries and other sites of whisky interest, tastings in Springbank’s Tasting Room and even a special tour with Frank McHardy, Springbank’s legendary Director of Production.
Scottish Golf & Whisky Galore Tournament (29 May to 2 June, 2016)
Come take part in a experience that combines the region’s best golf with some of Scotland’s finest whisky, brought you by Platinum Golf Scotland!
- 5 nights bed & full Scottish breakfast at The Ugadale Hotel & Cottages or The Royal Hotel in Campbeltown
- Four rounds of golf at four different courses, including Mach Dunes, Machrihanish GC, Dunaverty and Shiskine
- Daily prizes and overall prizes
- A welcome reception
- 3 distillery visits – Glen Scotia, Springbank & Isle of Arran
- Transport to the golf courses and whisky distilleries
- Gala presentation 3-course dinner
- Package price based on 2 people sharing a twin or double room: £709.00 per person. Non golf partner price also available on request.
[For a history of whisky in Campbeltown, see http://www.springbankdistillers.com/note/]